Sunday, September 16, 2012

Tomatoes & Bread

To kick off our eat local challenge last week, we went to a fun garden party serving lots of local food - including local heirloom tomato sandwiches!  Those of you who follow on Facebook may have already seen my tomato sandwich pictures from last week. 

These yummy sandwiches were topped with fresh & locally made pesto along with tomatoes grown in local community gardens.  I cannot lie - these are to die for!  Of course my girls did not eat them, but they did sample some of the other local items available including cheeses, honey, breads, and music!


These are so good, and so simple, I decided to make a similar dish at home.  We are lucky in that our community garden gets lots of fresh day-old bread from local bakeries.  Usually the bread doesn't have many preservatives, but we usually don't have a problem eating it up.

For my homemade tomato sandwich (or I guess bruschetta) here's what I used:

Sourdough Bread  - from a local bakery
Roma Tomatoes - grown in our garden
Basil
Garlic salt

Here's what I did:

First I sliced up my bread and put it in the oven for a minute or two so it would be nice and toasty.  Next, I seeded & chopped my tomatoes, and mixed them together with the herbs & garlic.  Then, once the bread was to my liking, I topped it with the 'maters!  Its even better if you let it sit a little so the bread can soak up some of the juice.  Yum!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment