Saturday, September 22, 2012

Squash Salad & Macaroni

So I mentioned before that we had a huge Hubbard squash from our community garden.  We already made a pie, and tacos, but believe it or not, we still have quite a bit left! What to do, what to do???

About half of our squash had been cubed up, dusted with pumpkin pie spices and baked.  The portion which was not used for the pie was just sitting in my fridge waiting to be used.  Right next to the squash was some fresh spinach, which gave me the idea for a really yummy salad!

Here's what I used:

Fresh Spinach
Diced Tomatoes - from our community garden
Diced Hubbard Squash - pre-cooked - from our community garden
Prunes (or raisins) - from our community garden
Toasted Pine Nuts
Your favorite dressing (I used organic green goddess)

Here's what I did:

Throw it all in a bowl and eat!



Now, I didn't expect my kids to enjoy a salad, as yummy as it turned out.  So instead, I made them some squash macaroni (no cheese!).

Here's what I used:

Diced Hubbard Squash - pre-cooked - from our community garden
Macaroni elbows
Milk - from a local dairy

Here's what I did:

I used my hand blender to blend the squash and milk until smooth.  Then I basically just mixed it in to the cooked macaroni elbows.  Super easy!  Both my kids ate it up.  I actually called it pumpkin pie macaroni which was quite popular.  While this was not my favorite dish (I'm not a big pumpkin pie fan), like I said, the kids loved it.  So a win-win in my book!


,

No comments:

Post a Comment