Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Summer Squash Muffins

Time for something a bit sweeter.  When I told my oldest that we were going to make muffins, she was really excited.  She loves to use our mixer - so much, in fact, that she doesn't ask me to bake, or make cookies, she asks me if we can do some mixing.

Before starting, we shredded up one (just one) of our Summer Squash.  It made about a bajillion cups of shreds:

Ok, not a bajillion, but at least 10, maybe more like 12.  We are going to have to find a lot of recipes that call for summer squash...

So to make these muffins, we used a recipe we found from old reliable, aka, All recipes.


As you can see, the recipe is actually for Summer Squash bread, but we converted to muffins.  It is a pretty simple recipe, and its likely that you have everything you need already in your pantry!

Here's a quick overview of what we did:

Start with 3 eggs.  This was cool since most recipes don't start with the eggs.  Usually we like to first break them into a small dish so that we can make sure that we remove the inevitable eggshell before we beat them. (Yes, I let my 4 year old break & beat eggs).    


Now we beat the eggs - watch out little fingers!



Now we measured out the oil, sugar, and vanilla to combine with the eggs.  My daughter loves to help measure ingredients.  She's good at telling me to stop when the liquid has reached the line (Maybe she just likes the chance to tell me what to do). She also likes to count the scoops of the dry ingredients.   Sometimes when we measure dry ingredients, I use a smaller cup so she can help me count a lot of scoops.


Now after you've mixed all your scoops together, its time for the spices.  I got a little flustered when I couldn't find our nutmeg, until I remembered my culinary inclined husband had bought fresh nutmeg last time he made us french toast.  (The best french toast I've ever had, but I'll leave that story for another day.)  So we dug out the microplane, and threw in some fresh grated nutmeg.  


Lastly we threw in our summer squash and mixed it all up.  In the end, it looked like this.


Sidenote, here is how much summer squash I have leftover.  Pretty much the same amount we started with...


Another thing my daughter is famous for is placing muffin papers in the pan.  She is actually very particular about what color goes where, although I can't ever really figure out what pattern she's making.  After she put the muffin papers in, I filled each one about half full, and then she topped them with brown sugar.  (This is an optional step, but I think it gives them a nice yummy crunch on top.)


We baked them for about 40 minutes, then let them cool.  


Here's the end product.  These were super yummy and yes, both my kids loved them!  


We have so many - about 2 dozen -  not sure if we'll be making them again soon.  I guess that depends on how fast they disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment