Saturday, August 4, 2012

Zucchini Pizza

One of the things we like to make with zucchini is raw lasagna, but, don't get too excited because that's not what this entry is about.  As I was preparing (really just mentally) to make the lasagna for dinner, Josie asked if we could have pizza instead.  At first I was thinking, no way Jose (Josie/Jose get it? ha ha), but after more consideration, I thought, Why not?  She's got a better chance of eating something she thinks is pizza than raw zucchini lasagna.

This is another one that I pretty much made up as I went along.  I started by slicing up the zucchini into thin strips for the "crust".  Remember how my zucchinis are ginormous...



Next I placed them on a baking sheet lined with foil, and drizzled oil on each side and sprinkled with garlic salt.  I baked these a little while (maybe 5-10 minutes) at about 350.


I was just about to open a jar of sauce, but lucky for me, I found some leftover spaghetti sauce in the fridge! I spread the sauce over the top of the "crusts" and then topped with cheese.  I used colby jack (aka "cloud cheese" in my house).  This was only because we didn't have any other cheese (except non-dairy).


I baked these for another 10-15 minutes, until the sauce was warm and the cheese was melty.  Looks like a delicious, kid-friendly meal right?  Well my one year old loved it and ate it all up.  And my four year old?  Remember how she was the one who inspired this dish?  Well, she ate one bite and decided she was done.  One is better than none, right?


I made a slight modification for the adult version which was really great.  I started out the same, but rather than topping with sauce and cheese, I topped with fresh vine ripe tomatoes and broiled them up until charred.  Then I brushed a little oil and vinegar on, and for me, a little bit of shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano (not my husband - poor guy can't eat dairy).  



This meal was definitely better than I expected.  Pretty impressive for throwing it together last minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment