Wednesday, August 15, 2012

More Zucchini in Nugget form!


I know that everyone has been missing my daily zucchini posts, so here is one more to feed your addiction.  

This was inspired by some broccoli nuggets we recently found in the freezer section of our local Whole Foods.  I figured that these couldn't be too hard to simulate, and what better to use than the huge abundance of zucchini we have! 


Happy Helper washing a zuke - note there are still quite a few behind her on the counter.


I made a couple batches of these - one with shredded squash, and one with ground zucchini.  I used my food processor to shred/grind both these.  


After you grind and/or shred, salt your product (1-2 tsp), mix, and let it sit in a colander for 15 minutes or so.  This helps draw out extra moisture.  As you see - from half of my giant zucchini, I collected about 1 cup of zuke juice.  Even after extracting this juice, my zucchini was still very wet.  

I saved this and put it in a smoothie the following day.


After the draining, I mixed in one egg, some Parmesan cheese (probably about 1/4 - 1/2 cup) and a dash of garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.


 I foiled a baking sheet, and using a cookie cutter, formed my mixture into heart shaped nuggets.


This symbolized my love for zucchini


Bake for about 25 minutes at 350.  Flip, then bake for 25 minutes more until crisp.


My kids, though skeptical at first, loved these.  I had quite a few extra, so they ended up in my freezer for lunchtime sometime in the future.  Definitely a great way to use up some of that extra summer harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment