Friday, August 3, 2012

A Day Off

After four days straight of zucchini & squash, my husband asked me if we could take a break.  I guess he was tired of the veggies?  I guess I don't blame him, but I still had some shredded squash and zucchini to use up, so I decided to throw it in a green smoothie.

I know these are all the rage now, so I probably don't need to explain this, but I will anyways.  Green smoothies include at least 50% greens/veggies along with the fruit.  My personal favorite is spinach, but we also get kale, collards, and other various greens from time to time.  

For this smoothie I threw in most of my remaining Squash and Zuke shreds.  I also added a couple handfuls of spinach fresh and some carrot juice, and some of our plums.  (For the record, the green ice cubes are pea puree baby food and did not go into my smoothie.)

 



Oh, did I mention our plums?  So along with our huge stash of veggies, we also ended up with a boatload of plums!  These we actually picked ourselves.  Well, I picked them and handed them to Josie and she boxed and bagged them.  What a happy helper!


 
We washed, halved, and froze these up, and now we have even less room in our freezer.

Anyway, I am getting a little side tracked so back to the smoothie.  Since my plums were frozen I thawed them in the microwave for a few minutes since I don't like my smoothies to be too cold.  Only a little cold.  Not too hot either which can happen when I leave the blender on for too long.  According to my husband, Alton Brown recommends putting the fruit & juice in the blender the night before, leaving it in the fridge overnight.  Who can remember the night before that they want to make a smoothie in the morning?  Maybe one day I'll remember to do this and I'll give you an update.  Until then, the microwave is the way to go.

After everything is in the blender, I usually pulse a few times until everything is kinda mixed together, and then blend on a high setting for a minute or two, and Tada!  Smoothie done!   




Even my happy helper will ingest greens and veggies this way! If only I could get her to drink more than a few sips.


I made a second smoothie later in the day and yum!  These are definitely good and were a great way to use up some of those leftover shreds!



I dream of Guinness....

No comments:

Post a Comment